This Halloween may feel a bit different than years past for reasons too obvious to state but that isn’t stopping Joey and I from indulging in a mother-daughter look that I am affectionally calling “Greaser Girls.” Consider it an homage to the 1950s with inspiration from “Rebel Without a Cause,” “Grease” and classic motorcycle culture punctuated with a serious dose of red lipstick.
In this case, I procured all of my makeup and style looks from Walmart (really appreciating the next-day delivery option as of late), and can’t wait to show you some new product discoveries as well as how it all turned out!
Kindly scroll on for more details, swatches and images of everything in action as well as the Bottom Line…
|Products to create the full look.|
|Base and face.|
// BASE + FACE // This look gave me the opportunity to try a couple foundations on which I’ve had my eye. Toss in some bronzer to sculpt, blush for a classic flush and highlighter for a dewy fresh face and the canvas is complete!
- Laura Geller Quench-N-Tint Hydrating Foundation Medium: For those with normal-to-dry skin seeking light to medium coverage with a true skin finish, this lightweight yet moisturizing base is a fantastic option. It has a creamy, almost gel like texture that melts into skin without settling into fine lines and the shade Medium (worn in the images at the end of this post) is great for NC 25-30 skin. Highly recommended!
- L’Oreal Infallible Total Coverage Foundation in Sun Beige: Intrigued by the strong positive reviews and the promise of major coverage (when I’m in the mood), I also picked up this base. I’ve enjoyed the other iterations of the L’Oreal Infallible foundation range and this particular installment, which really does deliver full coverage, looks surprising natural on the skin nonetheless.
- Milani Conceal + Perfect Concealer 40 Pure Beige: Rich and creamy, this concealer brightens up the under eye region with a single diminutive pass.
- L’Oreal Paris True Match Lumi Glotion Natural Glow Medium: I’ve used this luminous lotion for quite awhile; I appreciate its ability to be a stand alone base on “no makeup” makeup days, a glowing primer before foundation and a natural glow atop foundation…its versatility knows no bounds.
- Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer in Metallic and Deep: I used a mix of two shades of this now cult classic to gently sculpt and add dimension to my complexion while imparting a soft warmth that is velvety smooth and seamless on the complexion. I also used a touch more on my eyelids along with the Milani blush for a light bronzy pink eye.
- Physicians Formula Organic Wear Dewy Highlighter in Honey Dew: Fragrance-free and great for sensitive skin, this warm rose-tinged champagne feels like a glossy balm rather than a shimmer bomb and looks gorgeous on the high points of the face.
- Julep Skip the Brush Creme-to-Powder Blush Stick in Golden Guava: I adore a good cream blush…anytime I can bypass a brush and use my fingers to apply, I will! This buildable formula adds an equal dose of color and illumination for a lit-from-within look.
- Milani Baked Blush in Dolce Pink: I swirled just a touch of this on the apples of Joey’s cheeks for a radiant baby pink flush (how apropos)…she needs absolutely no makeup ever, of course, but I think she enjoyed the experience of getting “dolled up” for this special look.
|Swatches in direct sunlight.|
|Swatches in direct sunlight.|
|Eyes and lips.|
// EYES + LIPS // After applying a mix of bronzer and blush to my eyes as a warm pinky base, I employed the use of liner and mascara to increase intensity and finished the look with the brightest, most timeless red lip colors I could find.
- Maybelline Eyestudio Hyper Easy Eyeliner: This eyeliner, unequivocally, lives up to its name. I was compelled to order it based on a myriad of excellent reviews and am so impressed by the smooth and lasting lines it creates. It definitely rivals some of the more expensive liquid liners in my rotation and I chose to take my normal baby wing up a notch to a full blown wing because hey, it’s Halloween.
- Maybelline Lash Sensational Washable Mascara in Blackest Black: I’ve loved this mascara for years as it creates length and volume in a single coat and, while long wearing, it removes with absolute ease.
- L’Oreal Bambi Eye Mascara: I added just a touch of this on the outer edges of my lashes for an infinitely fluttery effect.
- Revlon Ultra HD Vinyl Lip Polish in Cherry on Top: This formula reminds me of the Radiant Liquid Rouge from Clé de Peau (an absolute favorite for years). Creamy and opaque with a shiny, multidimensional finish, I skipped lip liner and swept on two coats for lips with serious impact.
- Physicans Formula Organic Wear Nourishing Lipstick Goji Berry: I chose this particular lipstick for Joey as it has clean ingredients and no fragrance. It’s a rich a buttery true red that pops on the face in a single (or in her case, multiple!) pass(es).
|Swatches in direct sunlight.|
|Putting lipstick on Joey for the first time…she was so earnest during the process.|
|Greaser Girls…serious business.|
|Joey has watched me apply lipstick a million times in her 2 years of existence…no wonder she looks like a natural.|
|This eye look was super effortless…just a little blush and bronzer mix applied with my finger tips and a bold winged liner for a 1950s energy.|
|The Maybelline Eyestudio Hyper Easy Eyeliner really and truly lives up to its name.|
|Applying Revlon Ultra HD Vinyl Lip Polish in Cherry on Top|
// STYLE NOTES // One of the things that I love most about our Greaser Girls look is that it is comprised of very simple wardrobe pieces that can be worn time and again outside of the context of a costume.
- Free Assembly mens white button down: I ordered a size medium with the intention to wear it oversized but ended up tying the front ends for a flirty effect. This cotton shirt is a staple!
- Black half top: I have been embracing sports bra and half top options as replacements for traditional bras as of late and now many never go back. Who is with me?
- Free Assembly 90’s Straight Leg Jeans: I’ve been wearing these jeans all month since purchasing them earlier this fall. The high waist and straight leg are flattering and the slightly cropped cut works with a variety of shoe choices.
- Hane’s Toddler Tee: I buy these for Joey in bulk as I love her in a white tee and they match everything. Sometimes, simplicity is best.
- Jordache Toddler Jeans: Is there anything cuter than baby jeans? I daresay no.
- Scunci Jumbo Scrunchie: Why has it taken me so long to pick up these scrunchies? They are excellent quality, especially for the price point, and hold hair high on the head (as evidenced below!) without tugging or slipping. So good.
–Shop the Post–
Bottom Line: I hope you enjoyed this in-depth breakdown of our Greaser Girls look. I had a delightful time discovering new (to me) formulas from Walmart and since this was Joey’s first time wearing lipstick, I know this will be a Halloween that neither of us forget, even if we’re just rocking our red lips and ponytails in the living room with family and pizza.
What are you up to this weekend? Do tell!
Good things ahead, including a fresh video tutorial, a host of holiday collections and the debut of my updated Beauty Professor site early next week. Can’t wait to share.
Stay strong, seek wisdom, much love and more soon,
–The Beauty Professor
**Many thanks to Walmart for sponsoring this post. Asterisks denote press samples, however, as always, all of my opinions are expressly and unequivocally my own. © 2012-20 Beauty Professor® All Rights Reserved. Do not copy, reprint or republish content and/or photos without author’s written permission.