|Preppy dreams…just in time for fall.|
Growing up, I was all about the preppy look. While my friends were embracing bold patterns and wildly low cut jeans of the 2000s, I was–oft with a book in my hand–ever on the search for vintage blazers, straight leg denim and the perfect shade of pale pink lipstick that reflected the glossy beauty of the 1980s reruns (Facts of Life! Square Pegs!) on which I was raised. To this day, I still seek the classics; I’ve found that when it comes to fashion and makeup, there are timeless pieces and products that feel utterly at home in any decade.
Fulfilling my preppy dreams, I am excited to share some beauty and style find from Walmart for which I’ll be reaching for years to come.
Kindly scroll on for more details, swatches and images of everything in action as well as the Bottom Line…
|The full look.|
|Base + face.|
- Max Factor Pan Stik 60 Deep Olive: I started my look by applying a bit of this iconic foundation in the center of my face to even everything out. Concentrated and creamy, a little goes a long way to create fresh canvas.
- L’Oreal Paris Infallible Pro-Glow 26 Sun Beige: I used the included sponge applicator to press this glowing finishing powder (the ratings on this are stellar!) all over my face to further even my canvas. It creates a seamless base that doesn’t look the slightest bit powdery.
- Jecca Blac Sculpt & Soften Palette Medium: For touch of dimension, I lightly blended this creamy contour duo into the hollows of my cheeks and perimeters of my face and used the lighter side as an under eye concealer. I am very impressed with the lightweight and crease-free coverage of this pairing.
- Laura Gellar Montauk Escape Face Palette: Featuring a bronzer, blush and four neutral shades, this palette is excellent for creating a refined face in seconds. I used the powder bronzer along my cheek bones and focused blush application on the apples of my cheeks.
- Rimmel Jelly Blush in Peach Punch: For subtle impact, I dotted a modicum of this glowy cream on my cheeks…this bouncy blush imparts a lit-from-within look that is ethereally pretty.
|Swatches of base and face in direct sunlight.|
|Eyes and lips.|
- L’Oreal Color Riche Pocket Palette in 102 Avenue des Roses: This quad features pale rose, rosy taupe, shimmering cool pink and rich brown shadows in a diminutive palette. I applied all four tones for the prettiest take on a pink eye I’ve encountered in a long time.
- L’Oreal Infallible Eye Shadow 997 Eternal Sunshine: I tapped a touch of this gilded hue up to my brown bones for additional illuminating. It applies smoothly and doesn’t budge.
- Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner: Instead of using this for a traditional cat eye (which, in my experience, isn’t the slightest bit preppy), I used the fine tip of this indelible liner to tight line my upper lash line for a nearly invisible effect that yields significant impact.
- Maybelline NY Brow Fast Sculpt 260 Deep Brown: I swept this through my brows for a voluminous effect that rivals some of the more expensive brow gel formulas I’ve purchased.
- L’Oreal Air Volume Mega Mascara: Two coats create fluffy and full lashes that look lush yet natural.
- Wet n Wild Gel Lip Liner in 6590 Doll in Love Again: I applied this peachy pink liner (actually, a very rare color for lip liner in my experience) all over my lip line as a base and love its smooth application and lasting finish.
- Jane Iredale Kissed Lip and Cheek Stain in Forever Pink: For moments when a sheer wash of natural pink is called for, this translucent gem is a must! I love that it can also be blended onto the cheeks for a coordinated flush.
- Maybelline Lifter Gloss 001 Pearl and 006 Reef: I have been reading so may good things about this new gloss and can confirm that it’s every bit as resplendent as reported. Packed with hyaluronic acid and illuminating color, Pearl is an cool icy white and Reef is an opaque peachy pink that looks delectable on its own or over nude liner.
- Guerlain Shine Automatique 202 Mi-Mai: Luxuriously hydrating with a neutral pinky nude wash of color, this lipstick will flatter a spectrum of skin tones in a single swipe.
- Revlon Super Lustrous Glass Shine Beaming Strawberry: Worn throughout this post, this buttery rich light pink lipstick offers immense color payoff and otherworldly shine. I now want to pick up more shades and this formula is beyond.
- O.P.I. Natural Nail Base Coat: For moments when I just want a clear coat (which never goes out of style, by the way), this base is brilliant. My nails feel stronger and protected and the glassy shine is simply gorgeous
- O.P.I. Infinite Shine 2 Fall-ing for Milan: This frosty taupe nude feels so right for the autumnal season and, while not distinctly preppy, has a classic appeal in its own way.
|Eye swatches in direct sunlight.|
|Lip swatches in direct sunlight.|
New nail neutrals: O.P.I. Natural Nail Base Coat and
|Applying the Revlon Super Lustrous Glass Shine Beaming Strawberry|
|Makeup-meets-books…two of my favorites in harmony.|
|Believe the buzz on the Maybelline Lifter Gloss…it’s color-drenched, bouncy, reflective light in a tube.|
|Eye look via the L’Oreal Color Riche Pocket Palette in 102 Avenue des Roses|
// STYLE NOTES // This outfit and its variations bring me great joy as they check all the preppy boxes…cotton button down (bonus points for the demure ruffle neck), high waist straight leg denim, an oversized blazer and a sleek bodysuit Also would you believe I bought this quartet for under $150?
- Cream Ruffled Blouse: Crisp and breathable cotton with the most delicate jabot at the collar, this blouse looks very Endless Love when buttoned up but can easily be modernized (as done above and below) with a few buttons left open. I also picked this up in the blue striped version!
- Straight Leg Jeans: There’s a touch of stretch to these mid-high rise jeans that make them extremely comfortable while holding everything in. On me at 5’9″, they hit at the ankle (love it) and work well with flats, loafers and heels alike.
- Free Assembly Women’s Boyfriend Blazer: Ahh…this blazer is perfection! I love an oversized look so I ordered it in a large and am thrilled with the roomy fit and soft plaid fabric. It’s a quality piece that I will reach for time and again.
- High Neck Black Bodysuit: I am a bodysuit lover–they simultaneously harken the 1960s, 70s 80s and 90s and this pure black one with a higher neckline looks classic and sophisticated. The material is lightweight yet opaque and the suit also has snaps (a must!) and a full bottom for maximum comfort.
- Camila Paris French Side Combs: Combs feel very preppy, no? In some of the images, I used a single comb (love how this particular pair hold my thick hair in place without slipping) to sweep one side up and off of my face and then attempted a more advanced half up coiffure (below).
|The Camila Paris French Side Combs in action…this hairstyle took me exactly 20 seconds to achieve. Let me know if you want a tutorial!|