Sunlit, simple, clean and casual…in a perfect world, these are the words I would choose to describe my beauty aesthetic. Meet 10 key product discoveries that help me achieve that look!
Kindly scroll on for my list of 10 key products, swatches and images of the products in action as well as the Bottom Line…
Clio Kill Cover in Sand.
(1) *Clio Kill Cover Liquid Foundwear Cushion + Refill SPF 50++ in Sand: Ever a foundation-phile, this cushion formula has been on my radar for awhile and, upon finally trying it, I am happy to report that it is all sorts of wonderful. With buildable medium coverage, immense SPF protection and the dewy finish we’ve come to expect from cushion formulas, this unique, fragrance-free version from the Korean beauty line Clio is brilliant. Innovative to its core, it even comes with a refill bottle so you can easily replenish when your cushion shows signs of depletion. The foundation comes in four shades and I found a match for my NC 27 skin in Sand, which should work for NC 23-27 skin tones.
Sponges saturated with a skin-perfecting liquid base, cushion compacts are the future of foundation. Enriched with a cocktail of hydrating, skin-nourishing ingredients – including soothing honey, brightening fermented yeast and antioxidant-rich tomato – Clio’s Kill Cover Founwear Cushion leaves skin feeling ‘plumped’, hydrated and protected from the elements. And, the compact is perfectly portable.
(2) *Julie Hewett Breathless Palette (also available at Joyus): One of the most versatile palettes I’ve encountered to date, this streamlined double decker features an impressive 16 warm neutral eyeshadows with a satin finish and four cheek colors (two highlighters, two blushes) that take the face from day to night with ease. The shadows are buttery and pigmented and blend like a dream and the cheek powders are finely milled and layer beautifully. This is the first product I’ve been able to try from the Julie Hewett brand and I cannot wait to try some other creations from this makeup artist-created line.
Julie Hewett’s stunning Breathless Palette opens to reveal two layers of make up must-haves. With 16 dazzling eyeshadow shades – from satin neutrals to smouldering charcoal via glimmering taupes, terracottas and plums – alongside 4 beautiful powder blushers, this contains every colour you could need to transition from desk, to dinner, to dancefloor… and beyond. Buttery soft and easily blended, these highly-pigmented powders are long-wearing and crease-resistant for effortless eye-and-cheek enhancement. What’s more, the sleek double-layered palette is sufficiently streamlined for stowing in clutch bags, and comes complete with a large rectangular mirror, to ensure that you never look anything other than flawless.
(3) *Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation Illuminator in Beige (also reviewed HERE): I am now on bottle #2 of this gorgeous highlighter (and that rarely happens in Beauty Professorland) and attribute my affinity to the gossamer texture and stunning radiance of this formula. It can be mixed into foundation for a healthy glow or tapped atop foundation (as I did in the images at the end of this post) for a subtle luminosity. The Sheer Beige shade is a versatile neutral champagne that would flatter a spectrum of skin tones…truly the gold standard in liquid illuminators.
Swatches in direct sunlight.
(4) *Nomaterra New Orleans datura: I’ll never forget the first time that I visited New Orleans with my family; I was 13 and viewed the city–so full of texture and history–with eyes of wonder. That early memory is one of the reasons I was drawn to the Nomaterra New Orleans datura fragrance. Smoky sweet with a deep dry down, this multi-faceted juice captures the senses and effortlessly conveys the earthy intrigue of the Big Easy.
spicy – oriental – smoky – full bodied – unisex – boozySouthern courtesy and sweet pleasantries of praline, almond, and green cognac notes unknowingly lure you in with an inexplicable, mysterious temptation that drops you into a hallucinogenic rabbit hole of datura’s night-blooming honeyed and carnal indulgence. Somalian myrrh and Omani frankincense transport you through the night, creating a spiritual tribute to Louisiana’s historic voodoo culture, while the aroma of lush osmanthus and iris awaken you from your bewitching dreams. Creole spices of peppers and cardamom blended with rare cocoa ground the composition, making this scent of lust and sin an alchemy of New Orleans’ otherworldly spirit.
Concentrated perfume made with all natural coconut oil. Bottles filled and packaging assembled by hand. Made in New York. We incorporate natural and organic ingredients, which we select from the finest quality and exclusive sources. We do not, and will never, test on animals.
Black Ecstasy Mascara.
(5) *Giorgio Armani Black Ecstasy Mascara: The only thing more beautiful than this minimalist obsidian tube are the contents that it holds. This mascara creates lush, long, fluttery lashes in exactly two coats and it formidably performs all day without streaking, flaking or smudging.
Flash Patch Lip Gels…for the mask lover that has everything.
(6) *Patchology Flash Patch Lip Gels: I have had great success with Patchology in the past (reviewed HERE) and, consequently, couldn’t wait to try the latest release from this innovative brand. Designed to deliver intense hydration and, by proxy, fullness to the lip area, these lip-shaped gel patches form to one’s pout and stay put for the 5-10 suggested wear time. As one who perennially battles chapped lips, I was wildly impressed by how moisturized, volumized and healthy my lips looked after a single treatment. Highly suggested as a unique addition to the mask lover’s repertoire.
Soften, smooth and diminish the appearance of vertical lip lines in just five minutes with FlashPatch Lip Gels by patchology. The lip gels feature hydrogel patch technology, which provides deep hydration and lip revitalization in a way that topical lip treatments cannot. They stay put, too, to ensure you get the ingredients where you need them most. The result is softer, smoother and more youthful-looking lips. Contains 24 patches.
(7) Milk Makeup Lip Color in C.R.E.A.M.: Never being able to resist a pinky nude, I picked up this matte lip crayon on a whim and am so glad that I did. As my first foray into the chic Milk Makeup brand, this lip color has made excited to experience other products from the line. The formula is extremely pigmented–full opacity in a single swipe–and feels weightless on the lips. C.R.E.A.M. is a resplendent rosy nude with immense creaminess and a lasting finish. So good.
A lipstick reimagined for the modern girl—perfect for the bold, matte lip trend.
What it does: This bold demi-matte Lip Color bathes lips in hydration for comfortable all day wear. A pigment level of 30 percent ensures one-swipe coverage and super intense color payoff with no base required. Shea butter, coconut oils, and grapefruit peel oils soften lips and boost moisture. Meanwhile, Milk Melt Technology matches body temperature for instant glide and a second skin feel.
What it is formulated WITHOUT: – Parabens – Sulfates – Phthalates
What else you need to know: Milk Makeup is a paraben-free, eco-conscious, innovative product line made of the best possible ingredients. They see beauty in originality, authenticity, and design multiuse products for self-expression. This product is vegan and cruelty-free.
Milk Beauty C.R.E.A.M. alone on the lips.
A swatch of Nude Attitude in direct sunlight.
(8) *3 Custom Color Lipstick in Nude Attitude(also reviewed HERE): This nude is actually a universally flattering neutral peachy coral with buildable opacity and a soft shine. The formula is moisturizing and long lasting–you need it in your nude lipstick wardrobe.
If you’ve been tirelessly searching for the perfect nude lipstick, then call off your quest! 3 Custom Color Specialists – every beauty guru’s go-to cosmetic brand – have collaborated with celebrity Make Up Artist Lauren Napier (who has worked with everyone from Lady Gaga to Amber Heard), to develop the ultimate ‘nude’ to complement all skin tones. The ideal accompaniment to smoky eyes, lashings of black liner or an understated, barely-there make up look, this coral-based shade is neither too pink nor too yellow… in fact, it’s juuuuuuust right, with a universally flattering balance of warm and cool tones.
(9) *Alterna Bamboo BB Beach Balm for Hair: A fascinating incarnation, this balm is especially effective on wet hair; it smoothes and detangles, making it easier to brush and style. The result is moisturized and silky hair (read: absolutely no frizz) that is adorned with a veil of UV protection. Simply brilliant.
A five-in-one hair styling beach balm for summer to address hydration, frizz control, shine, UV protection, and light hold.
What it is formulated to do: The harsh summer months can do some real damage to hair. Bamboo Beach BB Beach Balm for Hair is formulated with conditioning and styling agents that provide optimal results for hair that has been exposed to summer sun, pool, or saltwater that can lead to dry, dull, brittle, breakage-prone strands. Infused with complete color and UVA/UVB protection, it helps to combat the damaging effects of the sun, pool, and saltwater. It’s ideal for using for giving hair weightless moisture, shine, frizz-control, and hold. It can be used on all hair types as a primer or main styling formula.
What it is formulated WITHOUT:
What else you need to know: This collection was designed specifically to address women’s unique summer hair needs. Too much sun, beach, or pool time can lead to distressed, dehydrated hair prone to breakage. This collection is infused with moisturizing Tahitian coconut and strengthening bamboo extract for healthy-looking, resilient hair—no matter the season. This product is free of synthetic color.
-Organic Bamboo Extract: Immediately boosts hair’s intrinsic strength, flexibility, and sustainability for stronger, healthier hair.
-Nurishing Tahitian Coconut: Moisturizes sun-parched hair. -Color Hold®: A proprietary technology that locks in hair color brightness.
(10) Oribe Apres Beach Wave and Shine Hair Spray: I love using this decadently scented spray on dry hair to add volume, texture, shine and a touch of hold, thereby yielding the best of all worlds. It even brings my second-day hair to life!
Get beach-to-bombshell hair—tousled, touchable waves with sun-kissed shine—without the salty stiffness. Oribe Apres Beach moisturizing glamour spray uses rich extracts and exotic oils for lush repair and sultry texture.
The following images reflect all products in action in afternoon sunlight…gray tanks similar to the one worn below can be found HERE, HERE + HERE…
–Shop the Post–
Bottom Line: I hope you enjoyed this list of 10 key products to create clean and simple beauty…what caught YOUR eye? Do tell!
Good things ahead, including overviews of a host of Fall 2016 Makeup Collections…also, a quick FYI: the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale ends in less than a week. In case you are still looking for inspiration in navigating this massive shopping event, check out my suggestions HERE, HERE and HERE!
I am also in the midst of responding to your latest batch of comments and emails…have a beautiful first week of August…xx,
Hi Rachel! A wonderful post with many products that I've never heard of. I do use the Koh Gen Do Illuminator often. I add it to foundation for a glow. I love the shadow and blush palette, beautiful colors. Your eyes are stunning. I am searching for a lip color with a stain that is long lasting, seems a challenge for me to find. Great post, as always. Love the look!
Thank you so much, Debi…this was a fun post since so many of the products were entirely unique! Glad to hear that you are loving the KGD Illuminator…it is truly beautiful. Thanks, as always, for the kind compliments…also, Le Metier de Beaute is coming out with creamy liquid lip color (that acts as a stain, too) next month…I'd keep an eye out as it might be what you're looking for! I had a little preview yesterday and they are STUNNING!
–The Beauty Professor