Classic, modern and fresh, *Chanel No.5 L’Eau has officially launched and is exclusively available at Chanel. This updated take on a timeless icon is destined to capture a new audience of fragrance-philes seeking a new experience with a
In my experience, it feels like a slightly lighter, more contemporary version of Chanel No.5 while still possessing the same potent sillage and lasting power of the original. Weightless and uplifting, the icy adelhyde notes are still unmistakably present, this time anchored by a layer of warm musk, making it the ultimate skin scent with an unexpected floral twist.
While I have great respect for the legacy of the original Chanel No.5, *Chanel No. 5 L’Eaubetter resonates with my personal scent preferences and, consequently I find it infinitely more wearable!
A modern, fresh and vibrant embodiment of the now and forever scent. Timeless and audacious, simple and sophisticated. N°5 L’EAU is the N°5 of today.
Composed by Chanel perfumer Olivier Polge, N°5 L’EAU features dynamic, crisp top notes of Lemon, Mandarin and Orange that reveal lightheartedness and transparency. The emblematic heart of the bouquet unfolds with Rose, Jasmine and a new fraction of Ylang Ylang, more modern than ever. Behind this floral whirlwind lies an unprecedented sense of liveliness: the vibrant echo of Cedar, accompanied by soft and cottony Musk notes.
Art of Perfuming
The Eau de Toilette comes in a spray for more generous use, with easy application on skin or clothing.
The Classic Bottle features a new continuous misting spray, while the beveled glass appears crystal clear like pure water — an expression of simplicity and elegance.
Now that you have met the glorious *Chanel No.5 L’Eau, it’s time for an introduction to ten other recent beauty and skin care and hair care launches that are sure to captivate:
(1) *Shiseido Rouge Rouge (also available at Sephora and Saks): I haven’t tried lipstick from Shiseido in a great while, but this lip color was a great re-introduction to the line. Highly moisturizing with sensational full coverage, this range is an homage to the concept of a “red for everyone,” even if that red skews a bit toward the nude pink side (as I much prefer!). I was able to try three shades:
RD713 Hushed Tones: A perfect pinky nude (worn in the images at the end of this post) that mutes the lips without washing out the face.
RD714 Sweet Desire: A peach-meets rose nude that will be effortlessly flattering for medium skintones.
RD 715 Rose Crush: A deeper warm rose nude with luscious color payoff.
All in all, I am incredibly impressed with this Shiseido launch and can’t wait to try some other shades in the collection…truly exceptional.
A collection of creamy, moisturizing lipsticks in a spectrum of intense reds for every skintone.
What it does: Rouge Rouge Lipstick envelops lips in vibrant red color, lasting luster, and rich moisture. Vibrant Red Color Technology works in five different ways to deliver 16 of the most flattering red shades that will last. Each of them are intense and unforgettable, with a red for everyone. The hydrating formula delivers rich moisture for smoother, more shapely-looking lips.
(2) *Lipstick Queen Black Lace Rabbit: This potentially daunting black shade applies delightfully sheer for a smoky lip effect that is equal parts deep and shiny. Worn alone and my natural lip color turns a muted deep mauve; applied over another lip color and the existing shade becomes darker and shinier with a smoky sheen. Many early reviews of Black Lace Rabbit report that it has the ability to extend one’s lip wardrobe; drawers of “not quite right” lipsticks suddenly take on the perfect hue with with a single coat of this glossy black wonder. Lipstick Queen’s love affair with beauty alchemy continues with the Black Lace Rabbit release!
Meet Black Lace Rabbit lipstick. This mysterious black lipstick is like stockings, hugging and accentuating the curves of your mouth for a fuller-looking lip. It’s so sheer that it has the effect of wearing black lace on your lips. Worn alone, it casts a smokey veil over the lips’ natural color. Worn over another full-coverage lipstick, it transforms the color into a sexier, smokier version.
The gold flecks in the lipstick make it look like the lips are bathed in black candlelight, for a romantic color that is flattering and subtle. Packed with nourishing ingredients like shea butter, vitamin E, and black soybean, the formula is conditioning and comfortable. Welcome to an altered universe of new beauty.
Golden flecks add a glimmering sheen.
(3) *Kevyn Aucoin Bloodroses Essential Eyeshadow Set (also available at Barney’s NY): In a word, this palette is breathtaking. I have grown quite fond of rosy eyeshadow over the past couple of years and this latest release from Kevyn Aucoin has further fueled my affinity. With five coordinating shades that mimic the exceptional tonal effect of the blood rose, this palette can take eyes from a subtle daytime neutral look to a smoldering rush of burgundy decadence in four seconds flat.
Pale matte ivory pink
Shimmering neutral taupe
Soft warm pink with satin finish
Rich burgundy rose with a satin finish…possessing insane color payoff, this super unique–in and of itself–makes this palette entirely worth it.
Burgundy brown with a satin finish
The shadows are finely milled and wear well for hours without fallout or creasing; I am utterly enamored with this palette and implore those who prefer warm rosy tones on the eyes to give this a try!
Bloodroses takes on a new dimension this season in The Essential Eye Shadow Set. This five-pan palette is a first ever, exclusive combination of new fashion forward eye color shades to achieve the Bloodroses look. Velvety textures in both matte and satin finishes transition easily from from day to night.
WHY WE LOVE IT
Versatile shade range provide endless combinations to highlight, contour, and define the eyes.
Formula features micronized powder pigments and pearls for a smooth application.
Chic compact perfect for travel.
THINGS TO KNOW
Apply shadow with a damp brush to intensify color.
Apply as a sheer wash or build coverage for added drama.
Made in USA.
Swatches in direct sunlight.
Swatch in direct sunlight.
(4) *Surratt Beauty Surreal Real Skin Foundation #9 (swatches of all shades and also available at Space.NK): Comprehensively swatched and reviewed HERE, this foundation recently won an Allure Beauty Award and I completely concur with its many accolades. With buildable coverage (from sheer, all the way to nearly full) and a completely natural skin finish, this foundation becomes one with the skin in seconds, creating a flexible, long lasting finish that performs at a high-definition level (while being practically waterproof, I might add) that further demonstrates why it is deserving of all of its praise and more. #9 is still a match for my NC 25 olive-toned skin and I recently purchased a backup as–even with a vast foundation rotation–I do not want to be without this. Ever.
(5) *Christophe Robin Purifying Shampoo: Exemplary ingredients and a capacity for clarifying make this luxury shampoo well worth the investment. When my hair has been overloaded with product (even the best conditioners can make roots limp and weighed down), this shampoo liberates my locks, leaving them with more volume and life in a single washing. Although I do not battle with dandruff (so I cannot speak to its claims regarding that particular condition), I have found this shampoo to completely banish the level of oil my hair gets on day two (post-washing), which, up to this point, has been unheard of in my life. In turn, I will be rotating this shampoo into my routine weekly!
If you want to know more… Recommended for natural and color-treated hair, Purifying Shampoo regulates excess sebum to rebalance the scalp—calming itchiness, irritation, and tingling for a sensation of freshness and softness. It effectively eliminates dandruff during the treatment and after, with results up to 72 hours after use. The light, translucent formula is enriched with jujube bark extract to soothe and cherry blossom extract to moisturize. When used daily, this treatment reduces sebum secretions, visibly removes dandruff, and calms for hair that’s clean and incredibly shiny.
What it is formulated WITHOUT: – Parabens – Phthalates
What else you need to know: This product is vegan and SLS-free.
Research results: In a clinical test of 40 participants, after 2 weeks of use: – 85% of subjects notice an increase of scalp comfort – 80% of subjects notice a genuine reduction in dandruff – 75% of subjects notice a soothing effect, considerably less itching, and a return to a more balanced scalp
(6) *Giorgio Armani Prima Refreshing Make-Up Fix: Launching soon, this mist locks make-up in place for hours, even in adverse weather conditions like heat and humidity while revitalizing skin after a long day. Utilizing the skincare benefits of the venerable Giorgio Armani Prima line, this just may be the gold standard of makeup setting spray…keep an eye out for its release.
(7) *AERIN Rose Night Table Cream & Overnight Mask(also available at Neiman Marcus): Next-level luxury in a translucent pink and gold jar, this night cream looks equally beautiful on one’s nightstand as it does on one’s skin. With an intoxicatingly calming rose scent and a plushly hydrating texture that ingeniously doubles as a mask, this formula adds opulence to the concept of evening multitasking.
(8) *La Prairie Cellular Treatment Foundation Powder in Natural Beige (also available at Nordstrom): Recently I’ve received a round of questions from BP readers and followers regarding this powder foundation formula. I am happy to report that a full, swatch-heavy feature is in the works, however, in the meanwhile, I wanted to offer some initial impressions. With a velvety texture and propensity for natural-looking yet full coverage, this powder perfects skin in a single layer.
Excellent on its own or atop foundation to banish shine and further even the complexion, it also works well as a touch up option for long days. I found my perfect match in Natural Beige but will be sharing swatches of all six shades shortly!
Powder Finish combines cream, powder, and high technology for a perfect silky matte compact foundation.
Versatile as a primary foundation or as a touch up for any foundation, this light reflective, treatment based foundation goes from light to maximum coverage while providing moisturization and nourishment.
• La Prairie’s exclusive Cellular Complex helps stimulate the skin’s natural repair process, moisturizing and energizing with nutrients that encourage optimal functioning. • Softens and minimizes the appearance of lines, while Heather Extract firms. • Evens skin tone and texture while providing a natural light-reflective matte finish. • Rose and Chamomile Extracts soothe and calm skin. • Talc and Kaolin absorb excess oil. • Offers a creamy coverage of a foundation, with the ultra fine feel of a powder. • Extends treatment benefits of moisturizer used underneath. • Allergy and Dermatologist Tested; Non-comedogenic.
Usage: • Use wet or dry for adjustable coverage: Dry application for light to full coverage, or Wet application for maximum coverage and mattification. • Wear alone over moisturizer, over a coordinating foundation, or as makeup touch-up, dry application only.
Swatch in direct sunlight.
Swatch in direct sunlight.
(9) *Natasha Denona Blackest Black Mascarade Mascara (reviewed HERE and HERE and also available at Sephora): I have already proclaimed the many merits of this new Natasha Denona launch but just in case you might have missed it, I felt that this truly singular mascara should be a part of this round up. The intense black formula creates lush, long, dark lashes that last all day and the clever cone-shaped brush allows one to reach every lash for maximum impact. Divine.
Cloak your lashes in the richest, creamiest, blackest pigments you’ve ever seen with makeup artist Natasha Denona’s first-ever mascara. The state-of-the-art formula delivers intense length, volume, and drama with a sleek, comfortable feel in a single stroke.
Why It’s Special
Experience a dramatic false lash effect in one coat thanks to Natasha’s blend of volumizing waxes
The creamy, buildable formula thickens, lengthens, curls, and defines lashes without a clumpy look
The reverse-cone brush coats every lash with ultra-pure pigments that stay bold all day with no smudging or flaking
How to Use
Hold the wand horizontally and stroke the bristles through lashes from root to tip. Hold the wand vertically and wiggle through lashes to add extra volume and definition. Continue to layer as needed.
(10) NARS Velvet Lip Glide in Bound and Unlaced: These creamy liquid lip colors have a plush, non-sticky, weightless texture that envelopes lips in a wash of pigmented color. I picked up the dusty mauve Bound (an excellent take on the ubiquitous “my lips but better” hue) and the delightfully pinky nude Unlaced, which has enough depth to lend muted color to the lips without washing out one’s complexion.
The formula is extremely hydrating and I get decent lasting power (4-5 hours) before feeling the need to reapply. There is a bit of slip in its texture but not so much to risk migration outside of the lip line; in terms of the “semi-matte” distinction, I would definitely stress the “semi” in that moniker. In fact, I get very little matte effect from this lip color…I, for one, am completely fine that it is not as matte as the name might imply because the creamy, minimalist shine (coupled with remarkable pigmentation) make the Velvet Lip Glide that much more unique.
An innovative, long-lasting lip color with a smooth, semi-matte finish that provides ultimate hydration.
What it does: This highly-saturated lip color combines covetable comfort and confident shades in one smooth move. Its wand coats like a lipstick, yet glides on like a gloss. The finish is semi-matte, long-lasting, and non-drying for luscious, vibrant lips. Water lily flowers and white tea extract are infused into this hybrid lip glide for antioxidant protection and ultimate hydration.
What else do you need to know: “Velvet lip glide is soft, yet strong. Effortless and intense. Polished and provocative. It encourages you not to compromise. Glide on strength. Go with it. See where it takes you.”—François Nars
Bottom Line: I hope you enjoyed this review of the resplendent *Chanel No. 5 L’Eauin addition to a broader discussion of some of the best beauty launches I’ve encountered to date.
What new launches have YOU been loving? Do share!
Good things ahead, including a fresh work-inspired FOTD, a video tutorial and even more fall skincare and beauty releases.
Finally, if you happen to be in Beverly Hills tomorrow around noon(9/17), don’t forget to swing by Project Beauty at Neiman Marcus; I’ll be hosting the event and spending some time on the beauty floor directly following the show…it would be great to see you! More details on how to RSVP can be found HERE.
Leave a Reply