|Above: Products mentioned in the video.|
Saturday, December 28, 2013
The Beauty Professor
A couple of weeks ago, I was tagged by the lovely Taylor of My Lucite Dreams to discuss what’s currently in my makeup bag. I have also felt that the need to film new video is long overdue. In turn, I am excited to share nearly 20 products that are currently on heavy rotation in my skincare and beauty routine. Most are in my makeup bag as of late and, of course, the skincare products remain at home ; )
1. NUDE Skincare ProGenius Oil…excellent to balance and hydrate skin in cool, dry winter weather, this glorious organic concoction absorbs instantly and adds a subtle, healthy glow.
2. Erno Lazlo Phormula 3-9 Eye Repair Cream…my trial with this cream is ongoing, but one month into regular use and my orbital area is tighter, brighter and smoother. Will update in another month…
3. Rouge Bunny Rouge Genesis Original Skin Primer…this newest primer from the illustrious Rouge Bunny Rouge line fills in pores and fine lines and creates a seamless, even canvas for makeup application. Just tremendous!
4. Koh Gen Do Maifanshi Aqua Foundation #213 (Reviewed HERE)…I am loving this glowing formula and enjoy mixing it with product #5 (below) when I desire a touch more coverage.
5. Ardency Inn Custom Coverage Concentrate in Light-Medium Olive (Reviewed HERE and HERE)…the tiniest amount adds significant coverage and opacity to any foundation and possesses exceptional lasting power.
6. Chanel Poudre Universelle Compact in Preface (Spring 2014)…a light slightly peachy beige that combats shine while adding subtle luminosity to the skin. This is lighter than Chanel Les Beiges #20 and just right for my winter skin.
7. RMS Buriti Bronzer…an organic cream formula with a true light brown hue, this is my go-to winter bronzer/contour for natural, glowing skin.
8. Billion Dollar Brows Brow Powder in Taupe…this true ash brown makes my brows full and defined and never oxidizes red…love.
9. Billion Dollar Brows Brow Brush…a brilliant companion for the BDB brow powder.
10. Surratt Autographique Eyeliner in Chat Noir…accidentally missing from the picture but definitely lauded in the video, this liquid liner is like no other. The ink is a potent black, it flows from the felt tip with ease and lasts the entire day without transferring or smudging. Truly a top of the line product!
11. Chanel Illusion d’Ombre in Diapason (#92)…new for Spring 2014, this purple-brown wonder has complex shimmer that shifts shades when the light its hit. It is exquisite and will be getting its own close up review soon!
12. Jouer Lip Enhancer…silky smooth and completely clear, this is the perfect base for lip color and it keeps my lips moisturized for hours.
13. Lime Crime lipstick in Coquette…not new, just new to me. This lovely, creamy, true light nude beige was a Christmas gift from a dear friend and I couldn’t be happier with its full coverage effect. Trying Lime Crime Babette next ; ) Also available at Urban Outfitters.
14. Le Metier de Beaute Hydra Creme Matte Lipcolor in Amore (LE)…this pink-nude-peach hybrid is velvety smooth, highly pigmented and keeps my lips hydrated despite its matte texture. Completely sublime and LE, so track it down while you can!
15. Buxom Lip Cream in White Russian…I couldn’t fit this gloss into the final video edit but this cult favorite offers a delightful tingle and beautiful pink beige wash of color that enhances every lip color.
16. Surratt Relevee Eyelash Curler…effortlessly adding life to my lashes, this has become a daily ritual.
17. Chantecaille Supreme Cils Mascara…this formula needs its own review and sadly I couldn’t fit it into the video (time constraints!). Extremely full, long lashes with no smudging or flaking whatsoever…the best mascara formula I’ve tried to date!
18. Ramon Monegal fragrance in Cuirelle…a sophisticated warm leather and honey juice, this has incredible lasting power and smells beyond entrancing in the winter months.
19. Seth Wegter Bags Cosmetics Case…made in a variety of gorgeous leathers, I don’t know what I ever did without them.
Bottom Line: I’ve truly missed doing videos but the last few weeks simply haven’t been conducive to the process! I hope you enjoyed this product overview…I’ve amassed so many wonderful beauty-oriented items lately and am thrilled to finally have the opportunity to properly share them!
I can’t wait for your questions and comments and hope you have a marvelous weekend…what’s new?
–The Beauty Professor
**A few products mentioned are PR samples provided for review (the majority, purchased by me), however, as always, all of my opinions are expressly and unequivocally my own. This post contains affiliate links as well unaffiliated links for your convenience; my disclosure policy contains additional details on how these work.
Hi Rachel…and early Happy New Year! One of my NY resolutions (which I've already started) is to be more discerning and consistent with my skin care. I am lucky in that I do not have sensitive skin and can tolerate anything. I took inventory a few days ago and the amount of products I have has gotten a little out of hand, so I'm trying to carefully edit my routine. That leads me to a couple of questions for you. In this video, you mention that you apply the Nude oil as a first step; even before serums. I have always been under the impression that serums should be the very first thing to apply. So I'm wondering: you don't find the oil too occlusive the allow the serum to penetrate? This really fascinates me because I'm considering changing up some of the steps in my routine. Second, you mention that you use the Erno Lazlo on the orbital area. Is it appropriate for the eyelid also?
Great video, very timely. And thanks for the quick review on the new RBR primer. I've had my eye on it (I'm a RBR fanatic!) but was waiting for some reviews. It sounds like a must have.
Thanks in advance for taking my questions.
Thank you…Happy New Year to you as well! I think your skincare resolution sounds brilliant and I am envious of your non-sensitive skin ; ) With regards to your questions, when I use the NUDE oil, it is generally very cold and dry outside and my skin is craving extra moisture. In turn, I will just put the NUDE oil on and follow it with Peau Vierge and then foundation. I've also been told that that serums come first but there are only so many layers I can put on my face in a single day (especially since I wear foundation, too!). The NUDE oil makes for a great "one step" skincare kind of day. On days when I am feeling more motivated (and don't need the extra moisture), I will do a serum (lately the Orlane B21), followed by a bit of cream on the outer edges and forehead (KS CP Wrinkle Repair) and a touch of eye cream (lately, the Erno Lazlo) and then follow with Peau Vierge or another primer and foundation. The things we do for our skin! I do indeed put the Erno Lazlo on my eye lids as well…I didn't notice anything in the directions cautioning against it, so I just put it all over the eye area for maximum benefits!
Thanks for your words about my video…creating it was a long time coming ; ) I am truly impressed with the new RBR primer as it fills in pores and lines effortlessly…super effective!
Please let me know if you have other questions and have a wonderful NYE tonight…xoxo and talk soon,
–The Beauty Professor
Hi Rachel! I really love your blog! Thank you for great reviews. I am thinking about trying that mascara from chantecaille. What nail polish do you wear in this video. It looks really nice on your nails! Thank you!!!
Thank you so much…I appreciate your kind words! I totally recommend the Chantecaille mascara (and just included it in my "Best of 2013" video that will be live later on this week. You have a good eye for nail polish (I rarely wear it!…in this case, I am wearing "Tea with the Queen" by Butter London.
xoxo and happy new year!
–The Beauty Professor
Hi B.P great vidoe!! Love the videos, especially 1 with so many good new things to try. Thank you for your input on my very dry lips! Also was wondering b/c u did'nt mention the hourglass lip oil if u think it's kind of expensive & there are other less expensive treatments to try. I want to say thank-you AGAIN for reccomending Kimmie for our Kanebo or any other ordering needs. I have been in touch with her & she just shipped my order out & is so pleasant even with all my questions!! 🙂 Have a wonderful holiday & happy, healthy new year.
Hello dear Lynn!
Thank you for the kind feedback! I actually meant to mention two more lip products that I thought about after I posted my reply…one was indeed the Hourglass Lip Oil (which is lovely for an overnight treatment…I don't like wearing it in the day because it changes the texture of my lipstick) and the other is Nude Slip by Sarah Happ (to be featured in my Best of 2013 video later on this week). It is only slightly tinted and works great day and night and by itself or under another shade. Super moisturizing! I am SO glad to hear that working with Kimmie has been a delight for you…I would expect nothing less…she's a gem! Happy New Year, my lovely friend!
xoxo and talk soon,
–The Beauty Professor
Hi again, just wanted to let u know for some reason, the link for lime crime brought me to Space NK but i couldnt find the lipstick. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Thanks B.P
So strange that the Lime Crime link didn't work…I just switched it out to a new retailer and I confirmed that they have it in stock…hopefully that will do the trick!
–The Beauty Professor