Today’s post is dedicated to 20+ foundations (and primers!) I’ve been using heavily in 2018…some are new launches for the year while others are classics that have consistently proven themselves.
In all cases, each formula included is personally vetted and recommended and I’ve linked to my more comprehensive reviews where applicable along with separating them into three general price categories. From descriptions to swatches, this is the foundation intensive you need to find your springtime base!
|Luxury foundation splurges.|
- *Suqqu Nude Wear Liquid Foundation #203 ($67…reviewed HERE): Liquid and weightless in texture, this new Suqqu formula looks like nothing on the skin while impressively imparting light to medium coverage in a few drops. It’s excellent for nearly all skin types and gives me 6-7 hours of touch up free wear.
- Charlotte Tilbury Hollywood Flawless Filter #4 ($44…reviewed HERE): To be fair, this is technically not a foundation but it is a base hybrid and an insanely good one at that! The glowing formula can be used as a radiant, skin-evening primer, a light base (on good skin days) and a highlighter/skin perfector atop makeup. Everyone I know who has tried it loves it as I do (it just makes skin look bouncy and fresh…so good) and I can’t recommend it enough!
|Wearing the Charlotte Tilbury Hollywood Flawless Filter #4 and *Marc Jacobs Shameless Foundation Y370|
- *La Prairie Skin Caviar Concealer and Foundation in Warm Beige ($230…reviewed HERE and HERE): Decadent and luxurious on every level, this iconic foundation bathes the complexion in skincare benefits and natural medium coverage for normal and maturing skin. It has been in my top three foundation formulas for the past three years and the built in concealer further enhances its value…I get 8-9 flawless hours of wear time from a single application.
|Wearing the *La Prairie Skin Caviar Concealer and Foundation in Warm Beige (makeup details HERE and HERE)|
- *Clé de Peau Beauté The Foundation 040 ($250…reviewed HERE): The embodiment of luminous light and tender coverage, this opulent cream has a featherweight texture that disappears into skin while blurring fine lines and returning an even consistency to the complexion. Also rife with skincare benefits, it’s marvelous for someone seeking light to medium coverage and a refined and glowing finish that lasts.
- Suqqu Frame Fix Moisturizing Solid Foundation ($58…reviewed HERE): I picked this up in London last year and still use it at least once a week. The sold cream formula performs better than anything else with a similar texture, giving immediate medium coverage and a wash of moisture that lasts the entire day without budging. I never want to be without this magnificent foundation!
|Wearing the Suqqu Frame Fix Moisturizing Solid Foundation #203 (makeup details HERE)|
|Swatches in direct sunlight.|
|Mid-range luxury foundations.|
- YSL Touche Eclat All-in-One Glow B40 ($48…reviewed HERE): Most recently featured in my latest video, this tinted moisturizer adds a veil of effortless medium coverage that is offset by a non-shimmery radiance that simply looks like really good skin. A single pump is all I need to prepare my complexion and, due to the coverage, concealer is often not even necessary.
- *Ellis Faas Skin Foundation 103.5 ($90…reviewed HERE): This beautiful formula has been on the market for years and, up until recently, I hadn’t found my perfect match. The newly released 103.5 is an entirely apropos companion for my NC 25-27 skin and the skin finish and lasting power it imparts are unparalleled.
- Dior Diorskin 24-Hour Full Coverage Foundation in 031 Sand ($52…reviewed HERE): This extremely full coverage foundation works best on normal to oily skin as drier skin types may find to be less than moisturizing. That being said, this liquid has a creamy texture that makes skin look its smoothest and, while I haven’t given it a 24-hour try, it does indeed possess profound lasting power.
|Wearing the Dior Diorskin 24-Hour Full Coverage Foundation in 031 Sand (makeup details HERE)|
- *Giorgio Armani Face Fabric #4 ($64…reviewed HERE): I feel in love with Face Fabric well over a decade ago when it first launched and am so glad that Armani Beauty decided to bring it back. The insanely lightweight formula creates a gossamer veil of color that, once blended, is difficult to perceive on the skin. Pores and fine lines vanish while skin is visibly perfected.
- *Sappho Essential Foundation in Jennifer ($54…reviewed HERE): For those seeking a well-respected foundation with natural ingredients, look no further than Sappho. Created by a film makeup artist and named for Jennifer Beals, this particular shade is a strong match for my medium olive skin and the medium-to-full coverage and gorgeous skin finish guarantee that this is a part of my regular routine.
- *Marc Jacobs Shameless Foundation Y370 ($46…reviewed HERE): Released with much fanfare last month, this foundation features an impressive range of shades and a SPF-infused, flashback-free formulation that creates medium coverage and a natural matte finish that masterfully lasts the day. Oh, and the tactile and translucent squeeze tube in which it is housed reflects major next-level packaging.
- *Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation #7 ($64…reviewed HERE): A modern classic in its own right, this foundation never disappoints. The coverage is buildable and long-lasting, especially when set with a touch of powder.
- Burberry Fresh Glow Gel Stick Foundation in Honey ($48): The newest base addition in the Burberry family features a cooling gel with plenty of coverage and a luminous finish that looks like lit-from-within skin. It’s incredibly moisturizing (and thereby great for drier skin) and lasts through a long teaching day like a dream. I wish I had swatches of every shade in the lineup to share but, in the meanwhile, Honey is a warm beige for NC 25-27 skin akin to Bobbi Brown Natural Tan 4.25.
|Swatches in direct sunlight.|
|Accessible foundations that perform like a champ.|
- *Becca Ultimate Coverage Foundation in Olive ($44…reviewed HERE): Less than one pump is all that is necessary to deliver fresh-faced full coverage to my entire canvas. Olive ranks amongst the most perfect matches for my skin and the lasting power–from a 20 hour day on the streets of Paris to a 15-hour intercontinental flight–is formidable.
- *Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24 Hour Foundation Stick SPF 21 Bisque W 370 ($42): Velvety smooth and notably portable, this foundation stick creates buildable medium-to-full coverage and lasts for hours on end. Experiment with a lighter and darker shade for contouring and highlighting options that just won’t quit!
- *Physician’s Formula The Healthy Foundation SPF 20 MN3 ($12.99): Chock-full of healthful ingredients that play well with sensitive skin, this latest base from doctor approved Physician’s Formula offers medium coverage and a lightweight feel that allows skin to breathe.
|Swatches in direct sunlight.|
- *L’Oreal Lumi Glotion Natural Glow Enhancer in Medium: Stunning for a sophisticated golden glow, this ethereal formula delivers a completely wearable sun-kissed aura in seconds that evens skin enough to have you just using a touch of concealer in a strategic fashion.
- *Clarins SOS Primer in 02 Peach: Designed to counteract dark and ashy tones, this creamy peach tone is does for the entire face what apricot-tinged concealer does for the oft-shadowy under eye region. The skin-loving ingredients are also fantastic at smoothing while adding a dash of moisture.
- *Koh Gen Do Makeup Base in Yellow (reviewed HERE): Gaining distinction as one of the original color correctors on the market in the early 2000s, this iconic formula recent received an update and is still at the top of its game. The yellow brightens while counteracting redness and the primer formula itself makes foundation last until the omen you decide to take it off.
- *Sisley-Paris Instant Correct in 02 Just Lavender (reviewed HERE): This muted lavender tone brightens the complexion while imparting a sublime porcelain effect…doll skin, here you come!
- *Suqqu Blooming Glow Primer (reviewed HERE): Brilliant for fair to light skin tones, this delicate pink hue instantly rids skin of post-winter dullness, minimizing the look of pores and creating a smooth surface for foundation in the process.
- *Le Metier de Beaute Peau Vierge #02 (reviewed HERE): My first holy grail product discovered early in BP history, this moisturizing primer adds a light wash of color to even skin while boasting skincare benefits (encapsulated retinol that never leaves skin feeling dry or peeling), SPF and illumination. It’s an exceptional multitasking wonder.
- *Sisley-Paris Instant Eclat Instant Glow Primer (reviewed HERE): For those who seek a translucent glow and with skin-blurring powers, this particular primer is the answer. The tender golden sheen immediately brightens while active skincare ingredients tighten and lift. And, it can be applied atop makeup for additional incandescence…it’s for these reasons, that I keep a tube in my medicine cabinet and another in my purse!
|Primer swatches in direct sunlight.|
- Freda Dress: The season-less green and black motif is pure perfection and the 1970s vibe is right on trend.
- Baxley Boatneck: I already own this sweater with a dreamy deep back in gray and wear it constantly…black cashmere seems to be the next natural step!
- Essential Silk Shirt in Wilted Rose: A brilliant mix of nude and blush, this blouse matches literally everything.
- Arwen Silk Pant: A sophisticated twist on a pair of track pants, this stunning version can be dressed up or down with a quick change of footwear.
- Major Maxi Dress: Maxi dresses are having a moment and I can’t wait to add this black and white number to my wardrobe.